A new local rule was agreed to by the Committee Meeting held in January 1977, whereby players on greens were allowed to remove mushrooms if they were in the line of a putt. The rule was introduced following complaints from players regarding growing on the greens.

Cairns and District was inundated by heavy falls of rain during the early part of 1977, with the Course becoming almost unplayable. Only nine holes were playable, but an 18-hole competition could conduct by twice using holes 1, 2, 3, 4,11, 16, 17, 8 and 9. Club events were ran over these holes in the many weeks that followed.

Since the destruction of the Clubhouse, and up until 1977, the Club was bonded by a local firm to only purchase certain brands of beer. It was moved successfully “that legal advice be sought to define the conditions to determine whether or not a choice of beers is allowable under such a contract”. The Club was advised it was within its legal rights to sell other brands of beer, and moved a successful motion, “that a stock of Fourex Beer be obtained and sold.” Further developments that stocks were of Fourex beer be stocked at the halfway house.

The Captain reported to the same meeting that Saturday fields were improving, attracting more than 100 players. He recommended that competition fees be increased to .70 cents, bringing total playing fees to $2.00. During March 1977 an increase in liquor prices in the district prompted an increase in prices at the club to the following - 5 oz Beer 25 cents, 7 oz Beer 32 cents, 10 oz Beer .42 cents, N. Q. Stubbies .68 cents and 4 XXXX Stubbies .70 cents.

A poll taken among members regarding the choice of trophies to be presented at each competition resulted in the following— golf balls 31, trophies 28, open orders 21.

During the mid-1970’s the F.N.Q.G.A., in conjunction with the Cairns Club, conducted yearly golfing camps for Junior boys and girls. Many of the camps were held on the Cairns course due to its central location and ability to accommodate the numbers. The Juniors were billeted in the Club’s locker rooms and were under the care of volunteer minders. Camps were held during school holidays. A total of 43 Juniors attended the first camp which was held in 1975.

Saturday afternoon competitions over the years permitted the playing of working associates, with three spots reserved at the tail of the field. During August the associates wrote to the committee and asked for confirmation of this arrangement. A second query regarding the ladies being eligible for “Nearest the Pin” trophies was rejected.

Two matters were aired during General Business at the August Meeting – one was a report from the Captain regarding an exchange of blows between a staff member and a member of the Club, and he asked that similar instances occurring should be dealt with accordingly.

During 1977 the committee actively promoted the use of the clubhouse as a social venue, which included dances and other forms of entertainment. In August a special meeting was called to discuss if this should be continued. The meeting was in favour of the continuation and to the charging of a fee of $2.00 per person at the door. The charging of $2.00 and the subsequent issue of Non-Playing Membership, was a legal way of getting around the laws of the day governing the holding of socials by sporting clubs, to which visitors were invited. In the following months the Saturday night dances became very popular, providing the Club with much-needed revenue. Reports to subsequent Committee Meetings indicated that attendances averaged 250.

Jim Deakins had been approached to build a portable stage to cater for future shows. Popular local band “Copper Sole” was booked on a month’s trial commencing from Saturday 1st October, the trial successful and the band was contracted for a further 12 months. Other attractions included associates mannequin parades and a visit from the world acclaimed group the Maori Troubadours. In April 1978 the ‘Digger Revell International Revue’ performed at the Club. Tickets were sold at $7.00 per head with costs to the Club for staging the show being $1,280.00.

The question of beer sales in the Clubhouse again arose at the February Meeting when it was advised that the sales of Fourex packaged beer had risen to 45% of total sales. He suggested that the ordering of such brand be minimized to retain the Sponsorship of the City of Cairns Tournament, which was being extended annually by Carlton and United Breweries - it is not minuted the action taken. It was advised that Radio Rentals would be a joint Sponsor for the City of Cairns Tournament for 1978.

The question of Juniors playing in Saturday competitions was raised at many Committee Meetings over the years and the Captain again raised the question during Meetings held in 1978. His initial recommendation was that the professional advise which Juniors were considered ready to play, based on their ability, appearance, and knowledge of the rules. The recommendation was accepted by the meeting, but the problem would not go away, and the matter was again brought up at the April meeting. At this meeting it was moved “that no Junior under the age of 18 be permitted to play in a Saturday afternoon competition without the approval of the Professional, and that he would be allowed to play only on the invitation of a Member and the word “Junior” must appear beside his name on the time sheet. Juniors could play on Sundays but only by invitation.

All Sports Club advised that it would install a pipeline to the halfway house for drinking water and in the not too distant future will build a new shed at the half way house. Note – both works were completed – The pipeline remains but the shed beside the fifth green was demolished when the new halfway shed was later built.

The November meeting debated a request from the associates, asking approval to hold a competition commencing at 9am Saturday mornings. The request was agreed to, with a proviso, that no specific time slot would be reserved for their use and they would have no priority over Juniors or social players.

It was recommended the following fees for 1979 – Members $100.00, Associates $70.00, working Juniors – Members $50.00 and Associates $35.00.

The Annual Meeting discussed the number of holes to be played in the Club Championships and it was successfully “that they be increased to 72 holes “, which is the accepted number up to the present day — prior to this meeting 54 holes were played.

Another first in the history of the Club was discussed at a special meeting held in January 1979 when the Green’s Director, submitted a comprehensive report on the state of the Course. In it he recommended the reduction of the green staff to two and the calling of tenders for the mowing of fairways and roughs. At the same time, he submitted several tenders from interested contractors. Tenders were called on the basis that mowing must be for a minimum of three weeks per month, and if less than that, the rate of charge would be on an hourly basis. The meeting agreed to the submission and moved, “that the Contract be let for a period of 12 months for the mowing of fairways and rough at a cost of $1,250.00 per month on a basis of a minimum of three weeks mowing per month. If this is not carried out a rate of $9.00 per hour would apply.

The Match Play Championship was originally in A Grade, but in July 1983, it was extended to all grades. The committee was advised that the price of a 10 oz beer on Fridays had been reduced to 50 cents. The prices for the installation of a pool table were being investigated.

During a round of Club Championships during June in 1979, an incident occurred during play, when the tee on the 10th tee was moved back on the mound. When the incident was reported, a special committee was called to decide the fate of this round – should it be replayed or was it to be cancelled! The committee decided to let the round stand. This brought many protests from members. In his famous address to members after the special meeting called to discuss the matter, the President, Clive Hull, had this to say to a packed clubhouse, “A Special Committee Meeting was called to decide the fate of the Championships, and after deliberation the Committee decided, that even though the course was altered, no action would be taken and the results of the round will stand.” Note -When on the microphone Clive Hull had an amusing way of obtaining the attention of Members, and his famous words “A little bit of shoo” would become part of the folk lore of the Club.

Mr. Woodrow advised the October meeting of rises to alcohol prices, which were refused by the Committee and the following substituted – beer 5 oz 30 cents, 7 oz 40 cents, 10 oz 55 cents, 15 oz 75 cents, l stubbies 85 cents. Spirits - full nips, Bacardi 75 cents, Rum 65 cents, Whisky 80 cents and Tia Maria $1.10 cents

The committee discussed the relocation of the windmill, originally used for fairway watering and situated behind the par 3 16th hole. A suggestion was to place it in front of the Clubhouse and use it for promotional purposes.

Following the opening of the Clubhouse, the bar area was located where the present poker machines are. The Liquor Laws in force require the bar area to be closed behind shutters after closing rime. The wooden shutters were the folding type and extended from the ceiling to the floor, making them extremely difficult to close. Several attempts to have them removed failed, and it was not until the relocation of the bar and relaxations in the Liquor Laws that the shutters came down for the last time.

1977 pic 01

1977 pic 02